Pages

01 May 2013

DIY Nursery Wall

Be sure to check the entire post for instructions and creative ways to make this project a family affair! Embroidery hoops add charm to any corner of your home.  
2. Etsy





How sweet and charming is this nursery wall??

My friend Erica did a beautiful job designing the wall behind Kate's crib using vintage fabric. She found the idea at http://www.purlbee.com



And here are the super easy instructions....

Materials:
- Embroidery hoop 
- A scrap piece of fabric that is a few inches wider than the hoop
- Scissors
- Elmer's glue (you can also use a hot glue gun)

Instructions:
- Place the fabric in the embroidery hoop.  Make sure to pull the fabric so that it is taut.
- Flip the embroidery hoop over so that the wrong side is facing you.
- Place a small amount of glue all the way around the edge of the inside hoop.
- Press the fabric into the glue.
- Once the glue is dry, trim the fabric around the edge of the hoop and the hoop is ready to hang!

How Erica Created The Look:
Erica used scrap fabric she had on hand and her husband Jon actually made the wood letters! 

How You Can Create The Look:

You can find similar wood letters at PB Kids.  I've also found paper mache letters at Hobby Lobby that could be painted white or the color of your choice. Use the 3M Command strips to hang the letters. The paper mache letters are super light too so there's not worry your little one will get hurt if she gets a little curious! If you want to save even more, consider just adding the first letter of your child's name so it has a monogram-esque look. 

More Ideas: 
To add a personal touch consider mixing vintage fabric that has a story to tell. 
What about an embroidered hankie of your grandmother's or a favorite dress you wore as a child? For an eclectic touch, all the important women in your daughter's life could provide a fabric swatch. 





(photographs courtesy of Erica Brower Photography)

33 comments:

akbell said...

Where did the letters come from? I can't seem to find any in that font.

akbell said...

Where did the letters come from? I love the font and haven't seen them anywhere.

Aedriel said...

I'm not sure. I'll be happy to email Kate's mom though and ask her. ;)

Jenny said...

This is so precious - thanks for posting! We are in the process of picking paint colors for our baby girl's room (as well as our boys) and are completely stuck. Do you think she might share the paint color she used? It's darling without being way over top.

Amy said...

Could you find out where she got those letters? I have searched all over but can't find anything close. Thank you so much!

Aedriel said...

I have asked all the details but haven't heard back. Sorry guys! :( I will let you know as soon as I hear back from her.

Amy said...

I found lower case ones at PBK!

Amy said...

I found lower case letters close to that font at PBK!

the Sweetest Memory said...

I love this idea! Thank you for sharing. This would be so special with fabric that had been passed down, or a favorite dress they had grown out of!

Julie said...

This is adorable! I'd love to see other photos of this nursery to see how it all fits together. If there another blog or site I could check out? I just found out that I am having a girl! I am starting to brainstorm ideas for her nursery!

Anonymous said...

this is awesome. I have actually seen it where someone used material and frilly things around the letters of the name and made it look awesome but I cant find it anymore. I would love to know how to do this, any ideas?

Aedriel said...

I've purchased paper mache letters very inexpensively at Hobby Lobby. They're lightweight and you can do just about anything with them including covering them in fabric and adding ruffled trim.

Jennifer said...

In love. I need to do this SOMEWHERE in the house... somewhere...

Brooke - shoplemondrop.com said...

I did this in my little one's nursery when we decorated it a couple of years ago. My mother in law made the baby a quilt so we used swatches of the quilt fabric in the hoops (no glue though, so we can change them out if we want to).

Kayley said...

So cute! I just featured this cute wall on my blog. ablissfulabode.blogspot.com :)

Brooke said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I am dying to know the wall color please!

Aedriel said...

I am so sorry that I don't know the wall color. I will look again through our correspondence to see if I can find it. It is a beautiful color, isn't it?

Franka said...

I found these lovely images via pinterest!!!

♥ Franka

Sarah Kay Schindel said...

The letter font is "high tower text", cant buy them anywhere. Simple enough to make though if you're handy with wood. We made them and they turned out just like the picture. Or you may be able to find someone to custom make them with this font on etsy as well.

Aedriel said...

Thanks so much for sharing that information, Sarah! I'd love to see photos of your letters. :)

Summer said...

Beautiful!!! I'd love to know the wall color too, please!!!

Summer said...

Beautiful! I want to do something similar in my daughters' room. I'd LOVE to know the wall color too! It's perfect!

Aedriel said...

I really wish I knew the paint color! I emailed little Kate's mom about the paint color and haven't heard back. Sorry everyone!! I'll check with her again though and let you know if I get a paint color.

Anonymous said...

What size embroidery hoops and letters did you use?

Anonymous said...

What size hoops and letters did you use?

Anonymous said...

I would like to replicate this pattern in my baby girl's nursery. Do you know what size hoops were used?

Embroidery Fabrics Online said...

Nice blog... thanks for sharing with us..

Mama Niccicoco said...

Completely inspired by this nursery wall. Working on some for my daughter's room now. Not sure what her name will be, she still has to cook another 2 months. Thanks for awesome tips and directions.

MrsDWM said...

LOVE! Could you share what size hoops you used? Thank You!

Anonymous said...

love the original post with the peach walls! any chance you know the names of the fabric you used? thanks!

Anonymous said...

i would LOVE to know the paint color if you have it :)

Marci B. said...

I'm also curious on the hoop sizes you used around "kate" - can you post that?

Thanks